This is part of a series on recipes that I use to fix myself a quick meal with as little number of ingredients as possible. The recipe was put together by Deeksha. The speciality of this tomato chutney is that it can go with a lot of things. All kinds of rice, chips or bread.
- 400g tomatoes
- 1 large onion
- Indian Spice Box (chat masala, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, fenugreek leaves)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Heat oil in a pan on low flame. To it add some cumin seeds and mustard seeds.
- While the cumin seeds get mildly roasted, chop the onion finely. In some time the cumin seeds will give a pleasant odour.
- Add finely chopped onions to the pan and let them fry till golden brown (tip: Add salt to the onions as they then get cooked faster).
- Add finely chopped tomatoes or an equivalent amount of tomato paste. Let it cook for atleast 15 minutes on a medium flame.
- Add 1tbsp chat masala and 1/2 tbsp dried leaves of fenugreek (kasturi methi), if available. Mix well and cook for another few minutes. (Honey may be added to taste)
- Once cooked, pour in a bowl and enjoy it with corn chips, pilao rice, khakra, or any kind of bread.
Overall cooking time: 25 minutes