UICT Awareness was a community started by me on orkut (which got hacked and is now owned by some random guy!). I then felt the need to let the Head of the Student’s Body know about this. Here is a letter convincing him about our views and the future prospects we envision and to seek his permission to work on them.
UICT Awareness Forum
We present to you a small attempt made on the behalf of the students on a matter that seemed quite important to one and all. This matter that is described here was taken up because of the concern of many students over the stated issue. All the work has been done earnestly and selflessly. Our aim is to make UICT recognized not only in the chemical circles but also in the general public. Our aim is to achieve for UICT a status which it well deserves for a long time now. Before any prejudices are made let us support ourselves with a few facts:
Following are 2 survey done on the T-schools in India:
Both these surveys do not rank UICT even among the top 20 schools. This is most probably because UICT never made the effort to participate in these surveys. This elucidates that we lack in maintaining relationships with the media. All of us are aware of the power of the media, why not tap it when we believe that we are worth it?
All leading institutes in India have their own media cell, an independent body that maintains its media relations. UICT does not have one. The few articles that were ever published which feature UICT have been glorified within the institute so much so that sometimes we students think it belittles the achievements that UICT has made over the span of the past 72 years.
3. Our website http://www.udct.org is among the worst websites among all engineering institutes in India. Not only do the IITs have amazing websites but even smaller colleges like MIT, Pune have very interactive websites. The problem is not funds, definitely.
The survey of top colleges mentioned that IIT, Khargapur spends a whooping 1.77 lakh per annum on each of its 1,200 students. The budget of the biggest cultural event in our college the Funtech is less than that.
We are UICTians. Students who are supposed to be on par with any IITian. We deserve recognition not only in our field but also amongst the general public. We have the skills. Why not flaunt them? Being in UICT is no doubt the most pleasurable experience we have had but what would add to that experience would be not having to explain to others what UICT stands. We do have a felling of being from a great institute why not get that feeling as a response from people on hearing our institute’s name.
If a survey is made to rate the administration we might probably get one or two stars on five. The following review can be referred to:
It is not exactly a good experience being in the UICT office. Unless we have a smoothly functioning and efficient administration we will never have proper recognition because that is the first thing that the general crowd comes in touch with when they come to UICT. Judgements are made, immediately.
The aim of the forum is to overcome the above deficits. Unless firm actions are taken it will grow to become a Herculean task in the future. The forum was made on a networking site http://www.orkut.com/ which boasts of 1000+ UICTians past and present. The awareness forum has a total of 247 past and present students of UICT. We have a work force of 12 members in the college now, who will recruit more members for work. We have charted out a tentative plan on how we will go about achieving this. We will act on it with your due permission. The plan has been described below:
1. Now that the discussions and expatiation is over and we are about to start work we would like to rename UICT Awareness Forum to the UICT media cell. The media cell will handle relationships with the media. It can be a part of the students body or an independent body
2. The various things that can be taken up by the media cell can be setting up stalls in various fests that take place, handling finances for the various events in the college, getting sponsors, managing the website, and such other jobs.
3. Formation of a “Community Service Centre” within our college. It can be handled by the student’s body and can take up various social work projects in and out of the campus. This will boost moral building amongst the students and also help us popularize among people.
4. The alumni of UICT are its biggest asset. We need to tap the power. We are unaware of the actual figures given by the alumni but these are just ideas. UICT media cell can lend its hand in helping.
5. With UICT media cell functioning we can plan grander events than ever before. Funding will be much higher than before because of the recognition. UICT media cell can also help in maintaining cordial relationships with the sponsors which will in turn help us for future prospects (something we lack).
6. The media cell can help in arranging any event that concerns UICT. It can direct students in the college to participate in various events on throughout the year. It’ll be much more than just a notice board. It can interact with the students interested.
These are the main things that the cell can work on. I sincerely hope that we are given the opportunity to start this. Your suggestions are needed on the issue. We are working for UICT, and at no cost will we let our Alma mater down.
Thanking you in anticipation,
On behalf of UICT Awareness,